Thursday, January 9, 2014

Week 1


Rocket Writes a Story  VS  This Is Not My Hat

My first impression was that Rocket Writes a Story was a much better book, not because of how good it was, but because of how non-age appropriate This Is Not My Hat was.

These were my first thoughts of Rocket Writes a Story
-a bit too long/wordy. 
-great illustrations!
-good story.
-all around cute.

These were my first thoughts of This is Not my Hat
-It's probably really funny, but really just for adults.
-VERY quick read.
-great illustrations, though definitely a style taste judgment.
-Simple story that can teach that stealing is bad, but the consequences in the story will likely have to be explained to the child.

I then re-read both books and the race between both books quickly tightened. Here are my second impressions:

Rocket Writes a Story:
This is a solid children's book. It's delivers quality in all the areas you can judge it in. It's a good story for older kids (4-8) opposed to younger kids (2-3) because of it's wordiness at times, but that doesn't change this from being a great book. 

This Is Not My Hat:
After thinking about this story I realized how valuable this book really is because of it's directness and simplicity. It's simple. It's clean. It's straight forward. And because of that it allows the message to resonate loud and clear: DON'T TAKE OTHER PEOPLES STUFF. This book is worth it's weight for sure.


The Winner:

I have to go with the Rocket Writes a Story. This Is Not My Hat is very good, but Rocket Writes a Story is an all-around better children's book.

Rocket Writes a Story, we will see you in November!

No comments:

Post a Comment